07 March 2006

It's Not About the Cash

I was just reading an article on how the financial aspect of Mardi Gras was a failure.

I know it's true that this Carnival season just didn't cut it as far as an economic injection... The article is right about that little bit. But, this year, it's just not about that.

Saturday, I boarded my float with Krewe of Tucks members that I haven't seen since last Carnival. They all want to know the same thing. "How ya makin' out, Mark?" I stood on the lead platform of my float and threw my heart out to the screaming faces of locals, natives, habitual visitors, and the bewildered first timers. I looked out over that sea of people and I saw smiles. I saw laughter. I saw people who, for the several hours that my parade rolled, simply forgot. Forgot that just blocks off the parade route, most homes are still not livable. Forgot the gut wrenching sadness they all experienced as they sorted through the soaked and molding photos and letters and wedding dresses to decide which of their memories to commit to the garbage. Forgot what it means to look at a home that is just... gone.

As I was walking to my first parade, I stopped and spoke to people whose names I don't know... I ONLY know them from Carnival. "How ya makin' out, Cap?" They don't know my name either, as it turns out. But, these people have been coming to this place to watch parades and socialize with friends, family and strangers for as long as I can remember, and they make me feel welcome and comfortable.

I stood in uptown at that same spot on Sunday night amongst friends I haven't seen in months. I was doing that same thing that I have always done... watch the kids grow up and my friends grow old. "How ya makin' out, Mark?" came from every direction. And for the first time since The Storm, I found I was truly happy.

These people are the people that make New Orleans what she is. Carnival is really just a big excuse for them to get together and just be New Orleanians. And Carnival this year taught me that, despite my having been born in another place, a New Orleanian is what I have become, and a New Orleanian I will always be.

It's Ash Wednesday and I'm home. I'm makin' out just fine, thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home